Photography by Steve Brown
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 500g smooth ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 100g multi-coloured glace cherries, chopped
- 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mixed peel
- 1/3 cup coffee liqueur
- 460g double unfilled round sponge cake
- Cocoa powder and grated chocolate, to serve
Combine ricotta and icing sugar in a bowl. Stir in cherries, chocolate and peel.
Cut each sponge cake in half crossways. Place base of 1 cake, cut side-up, on a plate. Brush with one-third of the liqueur. Spread one-third of the ricotta mixture over cake. Top with 1 cake top. Repeat layers with remaining liqueur, ricotta mixture and sponge cake, finishing with a layer of sponge. Dust with cocoa powder. Top with chocolate. Serve.
You could replace the liqueur in the torta with a mixture of 1/3 cup boiling water and 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder.
Super Food Ideas - May 2009, Page 85
Recipe by Kim Coverdale