For you coconut cake lovers out there, here is a recipe that will not disappoint. Delicious, and it looks great as well!
PREP TIME: 30 Min
COOK TIME: 30 Hr
READY IN: ~ 1 Hr
INGREDIENTS FOR FROST
* 4 large egg whites
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 Tablespoons sugar
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups fresh shaved coconut, toasted
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
* Cooking spray (I use the kind with flour in it and it works like a dream)
* 12 ounces cake flour sifted (about 3 cups)
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
* 2/3 cups softened butter
* 1 cup warm coconut milk (from 1 small coconut or Goya brand coconut water)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 6 large egg whites
DIRECTIONS FOR CAKE
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat (3) 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Beat egg whites on high speed until foamy.
2. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Take caution to not overbeat. Set aside.
3. Combine 12 ounces cake flour, baking powder, and salt, whisk well. Place 1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons sugar and butter in a large bowl beat with a mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes or until light and creamy.
4. Add flour mixture and coconut water alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add in vanilla next and carefully, fold your egg whites into the cake batter.
5. Pour the batter into prepared pans. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
6. Remove cakes from the pans and let it cool completely on a rack.
DIRECTIONS FOR GLAZE
1. Combine the eggs whites, cream of tartar and salt and beat until foamy.
2. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time beating until stiff peaks form. Just like we did for the cake.
3. Put 1 1/4 cups sugar and 1/4 cup water in a handled saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reaches 250 degrees.
4. With the mixer on low pour the extremely hot sugar syrup in a thin stream into the egg whites.
5. Gradually increase the speed to high and beat about 8 minutes. It is done when the bowl is cool to the touch. Stir in the vanilla.
6. Frost your cake. Gently arrange coconut on the top and sides of cake and serve!