|3||cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|2 1/2||cups sugar|
|1||cup butter or margarine, softened|
|1||tablespoon grated tangerine peel|
|3||tablespoons butter or margarine|
|1/4||cup tangerine juice|
|2||tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract|
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease bottom and side of 12-cup fluted tube cake pan or 2 (9x5-inch) loaf pans with shortening; lightly flour. Mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, the tangerine peel, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk on low speed, beating just until smooth after each addition. Pour into pan(s). (If using fluted tube cake pan, place pan on cookie sheet.)
- Bake fluted tube cake pan 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, loaf pans 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons butter and the tangerine juice over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in rum.
- Immediately poke long skewer into top of baked cake at 1-inch intervals (about 20 times). Spoon glaze over cake, allowing glaze to soak into holes. Cool 20 minutes; remove from pan(s) to wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours.