Cook time : 30 minutes.
For the Salsa:
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (about 1 pound), finely diced
- 1/4 small white or red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt
For the Corn Cakes and Eggs:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced 2 cups masa harina corn flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 Hass avocado, chopped, for garnish
How to Poach EGG?
Step 1:Crack each egg into a small cup or bowl. Bring a deep pan of water with 1 tablespoon vinegar to a simmer. Stir to create a whirlpool
With the whirlpool moving, quickly slide each egg into the water; the whirlpool helps the eggs keep their shape. Start timing when you add the last egg.
Poach the eggs for 3 1/2 minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Recipe to try: Masa Corn Cakes with Poached Eggs.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Make the corn cakes: Warm the milk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat just until the butter melts. Combine the masa harina, 1 teaspoon salt, the sugar and queso fresco in a large bowl. Stir in the milk mixture to make a soft dough. Scoop the dough into 8 portions (about 1/4 cup each) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with another sheet of parchment; press a pan on top to flatten into disks.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the corn cakes until crisp and golden on the bottom, about 3 1/2 minutes; flip, press lightly with a spatula and cook until golden on the other side. Continue with the remaining cakes, adding more oil as needed. Season the cakes with salt; place on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you poach the eggs.
Bring a deep pan of water to a simmer over medium-low heat; add the vinegar. Poach the eggs.
Divide the corn cakes among 4 plates; top each cake with a poached egg, salsa and cheese; serve with avocado.